Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Odd SQL Reporting Services Error...

I was working with a custom report today and I had a very strange error which I have noticed that several others also seem to have, both with SQL Reporting Services and other .NET applications. The report I was making worked fine, but when I tried to deploy it to the site, I got the following error:

"Length cannot be less than zero."

When I dubbel-clicked it in VS2003 (yes, I am still using it), the sourcefile of my DataSource was shown, and there was nothing wrong there...

Well, I tried lots of different things, restarting, trying to deploy to another server but the error was still the same and I could see the report was working fine i Preview mode.

Well, after a while I got fed up with it, and just tried to install the rdl manually on the reportserver (using the update function, in the properties tab of the report). It worked!

Hence, there seems to be some error in the deployment of reports in SQL Reporting Services. If you get this error, try to bypass it, your report might not be the problem after all.

Anyone reading this that knows why the deployment didn't work? I'd like to know!

Gustaf Westerlund
CRM and SharePoint Consultant

Humandata AB
www.humandata.se

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    I had the same problem. It was the name of the shared data source which was the problem. The extension was missing. The shared data source name was "Database". After changing the name to "Database.rds" everything worked fine :-)

    /Frederick

    ReplyDelete